Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cloth Diapering

Call me crazy - but we have decided to use cloth diapers with Fox. Before you judge me or think I'm a looney toon, check out our reasoning. You might be surprised!

Reason #1: Budget
After comparing numbers, there is no arguing that, while cloth diapers may involve a bit of an initial investment, over the long haul they save a TON of money over using disposables.

Reason #2: Comfort
Would you want to wear plastic underwear? I didn't think so.

Reason #3: Mother Earth
As much as we love convenience, we do also feel compelled to do what we can to reduce our waste. Normally I would consider us to be "lazy environmentalists," but I'm not sure that term can apply once you venture into the land of cloth diapers. Maybe I watched too much Captain Planet as a child - who knows? At any rate, the thought of all those dirty diapers filling up the landfills somewhat gives me a bit of a complex. So I'm going to do my best to go green in this area.

Reason #4: Nut and Granola
Okay, so maybe I am a bit of a looney toon. But I just don't feel completely comfortable putting Fox in diapers made super-absorbant by the use of chemicals and other unknown substances. This is not to say that, if you use disposables, I think you are harming your child. I am most definitely NOT saying anything of the sort. All I'm saying is that, for me, the jury is still out on this, and I feel better moving away from chemicals as much as possible (in all aspects of our lives, not just baby poop).

Reason #5: Posterity
Is there any merit to the theory that the rise in male infertility over the past 25 years is in correlation to the increased use of disposable diapers during the same time period? Probably not. But hey - I'd like to give the kid the best possible chance I can!

So, that just about sums up our reasons for deciding to do cloth. Now, if you wish, you may feel free to call me crazy. Doesn't bother me! If you would like to read more about cloth diapering, check out these sites: www.diaperpin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment